A river cruise is a fantastic travel option for several reasons. Firstly, it offers a slower and more intimate journey compared to traditional ocean cruises. You can explore smaller towns and cities that would typically be inaccessible by large ocean liners. The views right from your cabin window are also highly picturesque and ever-changing.
River cruises are also ideal for those who want an engaging and cultural experience. Excursions often include guided tours, local entertainment, and the opportunity to sample local cuisine. The ships are smaller, which means you have an opportunity to mingle with other guests and enjoy a personal touch from the crew.
As for destinations, there are numerous beautiful places to consider for your river cruise trip. Some popular ones include:
1. European River Cruises: Travel the Danube or Rhine rivers to enjoy landscapes dotted with castles, vineyards, and charming European villages.
2. Egypt: A cruise down the Nile River combines sightseeing of ancient monuments, like the Pyramids and the majestic Sphinx, with the relaxing luxury of a cruise.
3. Africa: A typical Africa river cruise safari includes comfortable accommodation on board, meals and guided tours. The activities on these cruises vary, but most offer game drives or nature walks, fishing, bird watching and village or cultural visits. Depending on the specific river, you could see a variety of wildlife such as elephants, hippos, crocodiles, lions, and a myriad of bird species all from the safety of your boat.
4. Southeast Asia: Mekong river cruises in Cambodia and Vietnam offer stunning landscapes, compelling history, and exotic cultures.
5. USA: Mississippi river cruises provide a charming journey into the southern U.S states.